America’s Top 10 Workplaces
Texas dominates our first National Top Workplaces list, with the top 4 companies in the country headquartered there. At the very top of the pile is The Container Store – headquartered in Dallas but growing rapidly across the nation.
“Putting people first”
The Container Store beat off competition from many great companies to take first place this year. And the secret of their success? “Putting people first” says Kip Tindall, CEO – even ahead of the customer.
That might seem strange, but it is an approach we are seeing more often. There is a growing realization that employees want to be bought into what an organization is striving to do and feel a personal connection with the company – a combination that motivates them to do their best work. It seems that leadership’s job is to remove barriers rather than to apply restraints.
For Anadarko (4th on the list) this has allowed them to survive the Gulf of Mexico well explosion that would have wiped out lesser companies. "I will tell you that from the beginning of that event until the end, our core values guided us, and I think they guided us well.” says Jim Hackett, CEO.
As we compared over half a million survey responses across hundreds of organizations to compile our first list of National Top Workplaces, we were struck by how company success and employee “buy in” are going hand in hand.
On the lookout for the best of 2012
We’ll be publishing the Top 10 and Top 150 in January next year. It will be the most comprehensive review of US company health ever undertaken – with 1 in 100 American workers involved. We’ll be reporting during the year to let you know what we are finding along the way.
America’s Top 10 Workplaces in 2011:
- The Container Store is a nationwide storage and organization retail store devoted to helping people simplify their lives.
- NuStar Energy L.P. has 90 terminal and storage facilities that store and distribute crude oil, refined products and specialty liquids; and two asphalt refineries and a fuels refinery.
- Pioneer Natural Resources is a large independent exploration and production company focused on delivering competitive and sustainable results.
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is among the largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in the world. Anadarko produces enough energy every day to meet the daily energy demands of approximately 20 million average American homes.
- Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, the privately held company employs 139,000 people in 65 countries.
- Bright Horizons Family Solutions provide early care and education, back-up care, elder care, and work/life services to employers globally.
- Founded in 1924, Plante & Moran is among the nation’s largest certified public accounting and business advisory firms. Plante & Moran has a staff of more than 1,600 professionals in 21 offices.
- Quicken Loans Inc. is the nation’s largest online retail mortgage lender and among the five largest overall retail home lenders in the United States. Quicken Loans employs approximately 3,700 team members and generates loan production from five web centers located in Michigan, Ohio and Arizona.
- Edward Jones provides financial services for individual investors in the United States and, through its affiliate, in Canada. Every aspect of the firm's business, from the types of investment options offered to the location of branch offices, is designed to cater to individual investors in the communities in which they live and work.
- Keller Williams Realty, Inc. is an Austin, Texas-based, real estate franchise company with more than 80,000 real estate agents, operating in approximately 690 market centers (offices) across the United States and Canada.
Companies with over 1,000 employees nationwide were considered for the list